I have a very cobbled together garden. The veg patch gets too much shade and the neighbourhood cats like to use it as a toilet (leading me to punctuate the earth with random sticks in an attempt to make it uninviting to their paws/bottoms).
But I do love my garden. It’s a good place for sitting with a cup of tea and watching the washing dry in the sun. And in the height of summer there will be greens and tomatoes, alpine strawberries and the buzz of bees everywhere. It lets me be outdoors and grow things and swear at cats (I love cats really) and get dirty fingernails and just make things up as I go along.
Today’s top 5 uses for the empty veg box crates I keep forgetting to put out to be collected by the veg box delivery person:
1. Petite shed for garden hand tools
2. Pedestal to create backdoor window box effect
3. Trough for growing greens (nasturtiums and mixed lettuces perhaps?)
4. Table for seed modules (dwarf sunflower and calendula)
5. Mini utility room greenhouse for germinating chillies, tomatoes, basil and lovage